The year I turned 9 and also the year death became a real possibility.
My sister Jeanette – 19 March 1940 – 15 January 1952
Quite a year, 1952. It is surprising what detail I actually remember of that January sixty years ago. I distinctly recall the King dying on 6 February as well. But look too at this list from Wikipedia:
- 2 June – Harry Lawson (b. 1875), Premier of Victoria
- 14 September – John McPhee (b. 1878), Premier of Tasmania
- 4 October – Keith Murdoch (b. 1886), journalist
- 28 October – Billy Hughes (b. 1862), Prime Minister of Australia
- 30 November – Elizabeth Kenny (b. 1880), nurse
The saddest thing about my sister’s death was that it was very much a case of hospital incompetence. When a year later I was on the same operating table in the same hospital with more or less the same problem, they were very careful. I can only imagine how my parents felt.
But to finish 1952 on a brighter note: